Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Are you ready for post-evolution miscellany?

Greetings blog travellers. In my attempts to use the various free Internet dimensions to support my teaching and research, I am starting this blog to post youtube videos and other cultural fare that is related to post-evolution, cyborg culture, robots, and other fun stuff. I may set up another blog down the line for punk stuff, and for my other cultural studies interests, but for the moment I expect my audience for this blog will be mostly myself and my students in English 297 Post-Evolution in fall 2007. I expect these entries will be random, irregular, and uneven in their usefulness, but I'm hoping the context of a blog will provide a comfortable space for me to fashion this loose catologue of post-evolution ephemera.

It all started with my desire to post this Kraftwerk song, "We Are the Robots," from 1977. Oh my do these guys kick ass. Germans love the discipline and aesthetics of technology and humanity blended together, and this band even extends their approach to into a daily work ethic that has them going to the studio and approaching their music making like engineers showing up at the office. I expect they are more likely to strip wire and customize a mixing board than get drunk and fuck, but one look at their haircuts and you know they understand the implicit meaning of technology: uniformity, discipline, and a groovy techno sound.

Okay, so it turns out I am still learning the protocols of Internet blogs and myspace and all that crap and so the video I wanted so badly to post, the one that inspired it all, doesn't even work. But it is worth te trip to youtube to see so I will leave it in place for now.

No comments: